Tongues - The Language of the Holy Spirit
August 17, 2012
Praying in other tongues is the avenue by which we access the supernatural ministry of the Holy Spirit. Praying in tongues is a gateway to the supernatural realms of heaven. When we talk in tongues, we are communicating directly with God. We will go places in the spirit and speak things we could never know naturally. We may not understand the meaning/interpretation of the tongues, but God does.
1. Promise of the Holy Spirit made by Jesus
- Luke 24:49, John 14:16, 26, 15:26 - You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.
- Acts 1:4-8 - Baptized, clothed, filled. Speaking in "tongues" is the initial evidence of the baptism with the Holy Spirit.
- Acts 2:4, Acts 10:4-46, Acts 19:6
2. Praying out the will (plan, purpose) of God
- Romans 8:26,27 - He who searches the hearts knows that the mind of the Spirit is. The spirit knows what you need better than you do. He knows the PERFECT intercession for you, the perfect prayer. Tongues for intercession (or prayer) - Help for ourselves and others.
- Ephesians 6:18 - praying for all believers everywhere in the Spirit.
- John 16:13-15 - The Holy Spirit will show things to come, reveal what we need to know.
3. Spiritual Edification
- By praying in tongues, we edify ourselves.
- Edify = to charge, to build, to establish and to organize.
- Praying in tongues strengthens our spirit and keeps us from being ruled by our flesh or the earthly desires that are contrary to the Lord's way of thinking and living.
- Praying in tongues sensitizes our spirit to the Holy Spirit - we more readily recognize His presence, anointing and leading.
- Praying in tongues will fine tune you to the Holy Spirit and your own human spirit - we are much better able to be led by Him in the everyday affairs of life, in general making better decisions.
- Jude 19:21 - build yourself up in the most holy faith.
- I Corinthians 14:2 - prayer tongues: speaks not to men but to God: In the spirit He speaks mysteries (mysteries, secrets = things that are hidden).
You don't have to wait for special anointing to pray in tongues (in the Spirit). Enter into prayer by just praying in tongues, you will move into the Spirit. Manifestations of the gifts of the Spirit operate. Gifts of the Spirit manifested oftentimes when people were baptized in the Holy Spirit.Back